Generation No. 11. George1 Gray was born 1625 in Scotland, and died 1693 in Berwick, Maine. He married Sarah.
Notes for George Gray:
In 1650 the town of Dunbar, located on the east coast of Scotland, was the scene of a bloody battle between forces of Oliver Cromwell, a pious Puritan leader, with his veterans from Ireland, and General David Leslie who was in command of the Covenants in defense of the Catholics. Leslie's troops outnumbered Cromwell's army, but they were undisciplined clansmen of the Highland Chieftains. Cromwell defeated Leslie's disorganized troops and three thousand Scots fell in this disaster, fighting hopelessly to the last. Ten thousand were taken prisoner, and about half of them were so exhausted by there fight, and disabled by wounds, that they were released. The able-bodied prisoners, five thousand in number, were marched down to Durham and Newcastle-on-Tyne. The Cathedral at Durham was converted into a prison and the Highlanders were destined to spend an indefinite period as captives of war. Their food consisted of "Pottage made with Oatmeal, Beef and Cabbage, a full Quart at a Meal for every Prisoner. They had also Coals daily brought them, as many as made about 100 Fires both Night and Day, and Straw to lie upon....They were so unruly, sluttish, and nasty...and acted rather like beasts then Men... As to those that were sick...they had very good Mutton Broth, and sometimes Veal broth, and Beef and Mutton boiled together...There were also a Physician to let them Blood, and dress such as were wounded, and give the sick Physic." "Notwithstanding all this many of them died and few of any other disease than the flux; some were killed by themselves, for they were exceedingly cruel toward one another."
"Sixteen hundred men taken prisoners in a fanatical religious war, died within a period of 55 days, nearly thirty a day. It is a revolting picture of savage cruelty, supplemented by ignorance of elementary hygiene."
Arrangements were soon made to transport Scottish prisoners to New England. In early November, 1650, 150 Scottish prisoners were ordered to Augustine Walker, master of the ship UNITY to be transported to New England. It usually took 6 weeks to cross the Atlantic in favorable season and it was late December, 1650, before they arrived in Boston Harbor. They suffered from scurvy on the voyage, but how many died is not known. Some were sent to Lynn, Massachusetts to be employed in the iron works, and others were distributed to numerous towns in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine.An interesting fact in connection with the deportation of these Scots is found in Berwick, formerly a part of Kittery, Maine, where a parish was called "Unity Parish" doubtless from the prisoners who were sent there to work in the sawmills at that place, having come to New England in the ship of that name. In 1656 record was made of grants of land to some of these men, indicating they had been released from servitude. Among those believed to have been part of the Dunbar prisoners settling in the Upper part of Kittery, now Berwick, Maine was George Gray, the Progenitor of the Gray Family of Hancock County Maine. Children of George Gray and Sarah are:
+ 2 i. Robert2 Gray, born 1680 in Kittery, Maine; died 1771 in Kittery, Maine.
3 ii. George Gray.
Captured by Indians. In captivity at Montreal, Canada 1692. Chose to Remain "for love of religion". He died without heirs in 1723.
4 iii. Alexander Gray. He married Elizabeth Harlow.
5 iv. James Gray.
6 v. Sarah Gray. To the top of Page Generation No. 2
2. Robert2 Gray (George1) was born 1680 in Kittery, Maine, and died 1771 in Kittery, Maine. He married (1) Elizabeth Goodwin June 12, 1701, daughter of William Goodwin and Deliverance Taylor. He married (2) Elizabeth Freethy 1706, daughter of James Freethy and Mary Milbury.
Children of Robert Gray and Elizabeth Goodwin are:
7 i. Sarah3
Gray, born May 09, 1702.
Children of Robert Gray and Elizabeth Freethy are:
10 i. John3
Gray, born June 10, 1707.
Generation No. 3
13. Joshua3 Gray (Robert2, George1) was born November 17, 1714 in York, Maine, and died 1781 in Sedgewick, Maine. He married Jennet Elliot, daughter of Richard Elliot and Abigail Wilson.
Notes for Joshua Gray:
With very few exceptions the Grays of Hancock County and nearby areas of Maine stem from Joshua Gray, born at York, Maine in November 1714, and his wife Jennet Elliot. What little information is available about Mrs. Gray is in the nature of tradition. According to tradition she was Irish, and it is quite probable that she was one of the Scotch-Irish who began coming to this country in large numbers in 1719. Joshua and his four sons, Andrew, James and Rueben came to Fort Pownall as soldiers when the fort was constructed in 1759 during the latter stages of the French and Indian War. ( Fort Pownall was located on the west bank of the Penobscot River near the location of the present town of Stockton Springs.) When the war ended and they were discharged from military service in 1760 they opted not to return to their former homes but instead settled (apparently as "squatters") at Castine. Joshua's wife, Jennet, had been with him at the fort for quite some time and when they settled at Castine they were joined by two more sons, Samuel and Joshua, Jr., and by at least three daughters. One was named Mary, the names of the others are not known. They lived at Castine until about 1768, then for reasons that are not clear, but which seem to have been related to land titles, the whole clan upped stakes and moved up the Bagaduce river to its head. There they took up land on both sides of the river from the nearby pond which came to be called "Gray's Pond". The lands of the father and the several brothers and brothers-in-law adjoined, so there was in effect a good sized Gray enclave within the bounds of the newly established "Township Number Four", later called Sedgwick. Perhaps a diet heavy with fish and shellfish caused a tendency toward fertility; at any rate large families were the rule rather than the exception for several generations. A goodly number of the men went to sea, but many more literally stayed with the land, for it was not at all unusual for one to grow up, marry, raise a family and die within a five-mile radius of where he was born.
Children of Joshua Gray and Jennet Elliot are:
+ 15 i. James4 Gray, born 1745,d April 01, 1821 in Brooksvilles, Maine.
16 ii. Andrew Gray, born November 05, 1738.
17 iii. John Gray, born July 14, 1740.
18 iv. Rueben Gray, born May 07, 1743.
19 v. Samuel Gray, born 1750.
20 vi. Francis Gray.
21 vii. Mary Gray. To the top of Page Generation No. 4
15. James4 Gray (Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born in 1745 and died April 01, 1821 in Brooksville, Maine. He married Elizabeth Howard, daughter of Edward Howard and Susana Mitchell.
Children of James Gray and Elizabeth Howard is:
+ 22 i. Christopher Mitchell5 Gray, born 1763 in Castine, Maine; died September 29, 1866 in Brooksville, Maine.
2. Susannah, born abt 1765 d 1854 age 89
3. Esther, born Feb. 20, 1768
4. William, born June 3, 1772
5. Josiah, born March, 17 1774 died July 5, 1838 Deer Isle
6. Pheobe, born May, 1776 died Deer Isle Nov. 16, 1838
7. James, born May 8, 1778
8. Sally, born July 9,1779
9. Jesse, born Aug 20, 1785
10. Polly, born Aug 20, 1785
11. Reuben, born Jan 4, 1787
12. Abijah, born April 17, 1789
To the top of PageGeneration No. 5 22. Christopher Mitchell5 Gray (James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born 1763 in Castine, Maine, and died September 29, 1866 in Brooksville, Maine. He married (1) Margaret Howard on December 19, 1787.(2) Phoebe Eaton.
Child of Christopher Gray and Margaret Howard is:
+ 23 i. John Cristopher6 Gray, born July 1797 in Brooksville, Maine; died September 10, 1881 in Brooksville, Maine.
2. James, born Jan.20, 1794 died July 30, 1885 To the top of Page Generation No. 6
23. John Cristopher6 Gray (Christopher Mitchell5, James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born July 1797 in Brooksville, Maine, and died September 10, 1881 in Brooksville, Maine. He married (1) Drusilla Staples. He married (2) Sarah Howard August 25, 1821 in Brooksville, Maine, daughter of Edward Howard and Sally Bray. He married (3) Rachel Eaton July 20, 1844, daughter of Eliakim Eaton Child of John Gray and Sarah Howard is:
+ 24 i. Nelson H.7 Gray, born 1853; died May 05, 1899. To the top of Page
Generation No. 7
24. Nelson H.7 Gray (John Cristopher6, Christopher Mitchell5, James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born 1853, and died May 05, 1899. He married Florence L. G.
Child of Nelson Gray and Florence Gray is:
+ 25 i. John Clarence8 Gray, born June 12, 1891 in Belfast ME..
Generation No. 8
25. John Clarence8 Gray (Nelson H.7, John Cristopher6, Christopher Mitchell5, James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born June 12, 1891 in Belfast ME.. He married Martha S.
Children of John Gray and Martha are:
26 i. Alton9 Gray.
27 ii. Clarence Gray.
28 iii. Elizabeth Gray.
29 iv. Hazel B Gray.
30 v. Kristine Gray.
31 vi. Laurence Gray.
32 vii. Lloyd Gray.
33 viii. Mildred Gray.
34 ix. Raymond Gray.
+ 35 x. Carl Gray, born January 24, 1907 in Bangor, Maine.; died February 13, 1973 in Belfast, Maine..
To the top of Page
Generation No. 935. Carl9 Gray (John Clarence8, Nelson H.7, John Cristopher6, Christopher Mitchell5, James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born January 24, 1907 in Bangor, Maine., and died February 13, 1973 in Belfast, Maine.. He married Ethel Louise Boynton in Belfast ME., daughter of David Boynton and Harriet Morrison.
Children of Carl Gray and Ethel Boynton are:
36 i. John10 Gray.
37 ii. Marion Gray.
38 iii. Maynard Gray.
39 iv. Richard Gray.
+ 40 v. Robert Edward Gray, born September 13, 1936 in Belfast ME..To the top of Page
Generation No. 10
40. Robert Edward10 Gray (Carl9, John Clarence8, Nelson H.7, John Cristopher6, Christopher Mitchell5, James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born September 13, 1936 in Belfast ME.. He married Cynthia A. Paul June 06, 1957 in Belfast ME., daughter of Leroy Paul and Helene Cameron.
Children of Robert Gray and Cynthia Paul are:
+ 41 i. Timothy Paul11 Gray, born December 31, 1957 in Belfast Maine.
+ 42 ii. Michael Robert Gray, born March 13, 1960 in Belfast, Maine..
43 iii. Patrick Allen Gray, born August 31, 1966 in Everett Ma.; died April 06, 1989 in Jeffersonville GA..To the top of Page
Generation No. 11
41. Timothy Paul11 Gray (Robert Edward10, Carl9, John Clarence8, Nelson H.7, John Cristopher6, Christopher Mitchell5, James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born December 31, 1957 in Belfast Maine. He married (1) Laurie Daignau. He married (2) Robin Celia Coward March 16, 1996 in Raymond, New Hampshire.
Child of Timothy Gray and Laurie Daignau is:
44 i. Amanda Marie12 Gray, born February 06, 1980 in Frankurt, Germany.
42. Michael Robert11 Gray (Robert Edward10, Carl9, John Clarence8, Nelson H.7, John Cristopher6, Christopher Mitchell5, James4, Joshua3, Robert2, George1) was born March 13, 1960 in Belfast, Maine.. He married Laura Mulry April 01, 1989 in Everett Ma., daughter of George Mulry and Ann Troy.
Children of Michael Gray and Laura Mulry are: